Saturday, September 15, 2012

Kusudama: Japanese paper art

Kusudama flower ball
The Japanese term kusudama ("medicine ball") means a model (usually ball), made of many identical origami shapes, that are glued together to form a spherical object. The typical example of flower kusudama you can see in the picture. I made this ball last Christmas to decorate my room. It took several hours to make this ball. But I like the result. Yes, it is a little bit crooked, but this was my first kusudama. So, I am quite happy. The main thing I love about Japanese crafts is that really beautiful thing can be created quite easily. It only requires patience and accuracy.

Instructions how to make a kusudama flower can be found on WikiHow website. You may need Japanese folding paper to make kusudamas (e.g. 180s Japanese Origami Folding Paper#2423 (One Sided)), but typical colored office paper should fit well. This is really great decoration for your home, so I suggest you trying it.

No comments:

Post a Comment